CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have a few questions regarding an incident that has occurred.

Customer Question

I have a few questions regarding an incident that has occurred. A close friend of mine and his roommate were arrested. I want to give them guidance if they should use a court appointed attorney or hire one given the charges. Also, what should the defense be based around? They were caught shoplifting and each charged with two felonies; grand larceny and burglarius tools. They were released from holding on a probation agreement deal, where they see the probation officer biweekly until court is complete. Any advice is appreciated.
Ultimately the goal would be to have the case dismissed or charges dropped as my brother was planning on applying to college here this will screw up his chances. Best approach?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
If they can afford to hire a private attorney, they should each find a separate one to represent them. It is not that the public defender is not good but just that they may not have as much time to devote to the case as a private one. The attorney can look over the facts of the case and see if they have any legal defenses to take to trial. If not, then they would have to take a plea deal that is in their best interest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well considering between the two of them the merchandise came out to be $1,400 I am assuming a plea deal maybe out of the question.

How much would it cost (estimated) to go through this litigation with a private attorney?
To retain a private attorney on a felony charge like this, it could cost $1500-$2000, not including a trial fee. If the case went to trial, there would likely be an additional fee charged by the attorney. Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer. After accepting, you can still ask follow up questions as needed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Quick question about this question - I signed up on the unlimited subscription plan so does this cover the charge for this question?
It should but you may want to speak with customer service about it to double check.