Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I went to jail for the better part of a year and in the first

I went to jail for the better part of a year and in the first two months I missed two payments on my car. This is the grace period for repossession. They sent there warnings but I never received them because I was in jail. They made two more withdraws for payments after that for the next two months once my account simmered down and they were payed in full. The police had seized the vehicle upon my arrest and knew where I was the whole time. The loan officer claims that nobody knew where I was and it appeared that I abandoned ship. The loan officer and the police worked together to repossess the vehicle. What do you think about that? Why were they still taking payments on an already repossessed vehicle?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Generally, once the auto finance company accelerates the auto loan and demands the full balance they are not supposed to withdraw additional payments, especially once the vehicle is repossessed.

You can contact your bank and inform the bank that your vehicle was repossessed and the payments should not have been taken out of your account.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I am sorry that you are no happy with my answer.

Please keep in mind that legal experts on JustAnswer.com are only able to provide you with general legal information and never any legal advice/opinion.

Do you have a related follow up question that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm saying typically if repossession is called for and the borrower is reached and the circumstances are discussed, things can be arranged. It is obvious the police could have given them my address and I could have worked everything out as evidenced by the two following payments that they withdrew for some reason after the repossession. What I'm saying is that I had a situation just like most people however I was incarcerated and the people who knew my whereabouts where not on my side "The Police". My account could have easily handled the payments from then on out. I didn't know the status of anything. I do not believe it should have been repossessed. Or if by the rules it had to be repossessed I should have had my chance to at least communicate through a letter and ensure the payments would continue just like they were beginning to do. They made out like I disappeared. One conversation with me would have cleared everything up. This should not have happened.

Unfortunately the banks do not contact customers in jails/prisons.

As long as the bank send a notice to your last know address it is considered sufficient.

It is very important to have a trusted friend or relative to either handle your mail or forward your mail somewhere where it can be handled if you are away or incarcerated.

Unfortunately police does not have a legal obligation to handle your personal or financial affairs.

I do understand your frustration and I am sorry that this happened to you and know this is not an answer you were hoping to hear, but I think you can appreciate the fact that I am giving you a correct answer, rather than someone trying to sugar coat things to give you false hope or potentially point you in the wrong direction.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That makes sense.