Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  5 years of criminal defense experience.

After a third DUI arrest (two previous convictions) my son

After a third DUI arrest (two previous convictions) my son opted for a rehab program sponsored by the county. He successfully completed that program and has completely turned his life around. He is now attending college, holding down a job and has stayed clean and sober for more than a year. The problem is the program says he owes them 3,000.00 for the program which he cannot pay. His parole officer says he must pay all of what he owes in 6 months (500.00 Month!)He is a broke college student (24 yrs old). (His mother and I cannot possibley pay this either and we were never in the picture during his hearings and subsequent meetings with the judge.) What will happen if he cannot pay this fee? (It is not a restituion fee...there were no accidents. ) The fee stems solely from the cost of the rehab program.

Joseph :

Hello and welcome to justanswer. If the fee is only owed to the rehabilitation programs and not to the courts directly then it is a civil matter, and he would only face possible action from a collection agency if he fails to make payments to the programs. If he owed the money directly to the courts, failure to pay could constitute a violation of probation and could result in jail time.

I think the latter is the case. Evidently there is no consideration of ability to pay. I suppose if he attempts to make payment, that will help?

Joseph :

Yes, if he attempts to make payments and explains why he can't pay back at the rate that they want him to pay then that would definitely help. The court should be willing to grant him an extension if he is trying to make payments on the amount he owes for the program. Also, he may be able to do community service to help work off the money that he owes to the program.