LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

hi someone told me it is illegal to put one licsence plate

Customer Question

hi someone told me it is illegal to put one licsence plate over the top of the other on the toyota i purchased the plate was so rusted i could not get it off to apply the other one is this illegal in the state of idaho?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and driving law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. " this illegal in the state of idaho?" No. Actually, Idaho law is silent on this point. There are two basic approaches depending upon jurisdiction. The plates either go "with the owner" or "with the vehicle". In this case, they are your personal property when you purchased the vehicle. Page 109 of the Idaho Driver's Manual published by the Idaho Transportation Department Division of Motor Vehicles states it thusly: "The license plates are your property, they do not go with the vehicle. You may transfer the plates to another vehicle that you buy or already own." As to a purported law specifically prohibiting placing a valid new plate over an old one, however, the applicable statute is silent on that point: Idaho Statutes § 49-428. So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is to try the WD-40 or similar product. If that does not work, securely fasten the new plate over the old one completely covering it.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.