Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

i got a home phone in my cousins name i did pay the bill but

Customer Question

i got a home phone in my cousins name i did pay the bill but i still owe 1000.00 for equipment she got mad with me about something else and has gone and filed a report in virginia against me im in mississippi im already on probation and this will be a very bad blow will i go to jail? will my probation be revoked? what can i do to stop this ????
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
What did she file a report on you about and with who? Have you ever been in VA to do anything against your cousin or against the law?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
answer didnt answer anything i asked i stated i got a home phone in my cousins name i have paid the bill thus far i borrowed some cash from her and i havent paid her back so se went and filed a report in va against me my question to you was will i be arrested can they come from va and arrest me? im already on probation and i dont need this in my life i paid the att pone bill but still owe 1000.00 for the equipment and they charged this on my cousins credit so we arent speaking and she filed a report saying fraud all im saying is can va come arrest me from ms the phone service was set up here in ms but she lives in and the report was filed in va
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Please don't hit relist as it does not inform me that you have additional questions. I just happened to notice it was posted again.

The answer is not inaccurate. You stated that you got a phone in your cousin's name but you did not indicate it was without permission.

You still haven't explained what you did in VA that could cause you to be arrested, but if you committed a criminal act there then yes they could file charges on your there and request that MS arrest you and extradite you. What is more likely is that VA would take the report and then turn it over to the MS authorities to investigate and prosecute. Regardless, if you forged her name or opened the account without her permission then you violated the law in one of the states and you could be arrested.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you still havent answeredmy question so im not going to accept the thing is i have never been to va my cousin lives there shes mad because i owe her money to which im paying her now i had a home phone in her name so she filed a police report stating fraud for some type of blackmail tactic here again im already on probation i owe 1000.00 on the phone bill for equipment that hasnt been returned again i did nothing criminal in va never been there only asking since she filed a police report on me will they pick me up for this
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how to answer it any clearer. If VA issues a warrant then yes, at some point you will be picked up in MS and can be extradited to VA. I have no way of knowing whether or not they will issue a warrant on you or not. Identity fraud/theft crosses state lines so even if you were never in VA it is possible they will prosecute you there.