Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

My fiance was arrested for possession of drugs. He has court

My fiance was arrested for possession of drugs. He has court tomorrow am. What is the likely hood of him getting an i bond
Hello there:

What do we know about the quantity and type of drug? Does he have any prior criminal history?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was $5.00 (five dollars) worth of crack. He has just been released from Parole in IL, however, his criminal record is from colorado. He has no criminal record in IL and has been here 3 years on parole
So is he on parole right now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No he was released a few weeks ago.
Has he ever been cited or convicted for failure to appear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Based on your information, I see no reason why he wouldn't be eligible for release on bond tomorrow.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not release on bond, maybe I am misunderstanding what an i bond is. I am wondering if he will need to have bail posted because of his record or if there is a way i can request a no charge release?
Bail and bond are basically the same thing, except that you call it a "bond" when you get the money through a bail bondsman. But there is no way that he is getting released without posting bail/bond.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have an idea what the cost for this would be for this type of offense. A guestimate, just from your professional experience.
Yes, and I actually want to revisit my definition of bail and bond. The bail is the actual amount that is paid, the bond is the pledge to return or the bail will be forfeited. In common usage, "bond" is what you call it when it goes through a bail bondsman. Still, the terms are used interchangeably.

The bail amount would depend on how it is being charged. With such a small amount, it would typically be a class 4 felony which generally requires bail of $2,000.