TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

i got a dui in california at my arraignment i pleed guilty

i got a dui in california at my arraignment i pleed guilty then never told me my drivers licence was suspended its not even on my paperwork that had my fine and all the other stuff. i got pulled over in washington state and they informed me my licence was suspended and gave me a dwls 3rd degree .... but i already payed my fine and solved everything with my dui in california ... my arraingment is coming up and i dont know what to do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 5 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Was the address on your driver's license correct?

Customer:

I have a drivers licence in CA and in WA the WA licence was correct

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Usually the notice is sent to the address on your driver's license. That is all they are required to do. Let me ask it this way: if they sent the notice to the address on your driver's license at the time you got the DWI, would it have been your correct address?

Customer:

yes i would have recieved it

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Here is what you need to do: at your arraignment, plead not guilty. At that point, you can ask the prosecutor for discovery related to your case. You need to specifically request proof of notice of your license suspension. If they did not provide it, you may have a defense, or at least some argument for the prosecutor to drop it out of fairness.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, if you have not hired a local lawyer, you should do that as soon as possible.

Customer:

ok .... i was informed that needed to attend dui 1st offender course and i had to pay a fine of 1800 for my dui in cali... i paid my fine within 2 weeks and i am currently enrolled in my 6 month course .... none of my paperwork shows of licence suspension and i did not recieve anything from DOL .... i am in the military so i am certain i wont get any jail time but im just trying to make sure before my arraingment

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

That is another reason to plead not guilty. It is always a good idea to plead not guilty and then talk to the prosecutor about what the sentence recommendation will be before you just plead guilty.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Or, you can just call the prosecutor now and ask what he/she will be recommending.

Customer:

ok thank you i appreciate it

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Just as an FYI, I've never seen someone in your situation get jail time.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Does that answer your questions

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

?

Customer:

yes it does who would the prosectutor be my court is in the town hall in some city called stelacoom

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The prosecutor works for the county. If all else fails, you can call the court and ask for the number to the DA's office.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What county is the DWLS in?

Customer:

pierce county

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Here is the website for the prosecutor in the county. Call and ask to speak to the assistant handling your case.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

no thank you youve been great help

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. If I've answered your questions, please click the "Accept" button. Good luck. Also, thanks for your service.