Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Have the agents of a company committed a crime if they break

Have the agents of a company committed a crime if they break into an external disk drive that's connect to one of their computers where the external drive is owned by an employee? To clarify: the employee wholly owns the external disk drive, it was located on the employees' premises (not the company's) when it was accessed, the items on the disk drive are wholly owned by the employee, and the data on the drive was never caused to be read into the memory of the employers' computer but for the actions of the employer's agents.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If the drive was not attached to the employer's computer or the employer's network nor was it on the employer's premises, then the employee has a reasonable expectation of privacy and it could be computer hacking and possibly invasion of privacy.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if the drive was attached to the employer's computer, but it was just sitting there unused until the employer's agent caused it to be accessed and caused data to be read into memory?
If it was attached to an employer's computer, there is no expectation of privacy to anything connected to an employer's computer or network.