Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

What does it mean when a person is charged with Statute:

What does it mean when a person is charged with Statute: 784.03.1a1 and what is the punishment.

Thank you for your question and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 784
ASSAULT; BATTERY; CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE

784.03 Battery; felony battery.--

(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:

1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) A person who has one prior conviction for battery, aggravated battery, or felony battery and who commits any second or subsequent battery commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. For purposes of this subsection, "conviction" means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or a trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld or a plea of nolo contendere is entered.

If there is no record, it would be a first degree misdemeanor. Possible punishment is up to one year in jail and a $1,000.00 fine.

In reality, if there is no record, the person is looking at probation and anger management classes.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!

Thanks!

Nathan Moore