Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
12176198

My ex-boyfriend is trying to say I signed his name on a school

My ex-boyfriend is trying to say I signed his name on a school loan that took place over 6 years ago. I do believe that he gave verbal constent for me to sign his name on the document. I don't remember alot of this transaction, however do to the times I lost my job and could no longer afford the loan payment (which is throught a private company). He claims it just came up on his credit report however I spoke to the loan company and they said the first time I went 30 days was in November 2006 which they reported that it would have been on at that time. However, back in November of 2010 he told me if I did not pay the full amount if the loan that I was going to pay for it because I was messing up his relationship with his current wife. What is the statute of limitations in Ohio for this type of crime and what should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

The statute of limitations on forgery in Ohio is six years. There are exceptions for fraud, however, and for most cases involving that, the statute of limitations is one year after the discovery of it (so basically, one year from when he found out he was a signatory on your loan). If he attempts to have you charged criminally, you can hire an attorney or apply for the public defender. They can try to have the charges dismissed due to the expiration of the statute of limitations, although it is unlikely that the police or prosecution would pursue a case if it has gone beyond that. If the statute of limitations hasn't run due to him discovering it less than a year ago, the attorney can help handle your case and defend you at trial. But unless charges are brought, there's not really anything you can do in the interim. Just be careful what you say in conversation with him because he could try to use that information against you later.
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice