TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.

What does the term means, currently under indictment means

Customer Question

What does the term means, currently under indictment means?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 3 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Could you explain your question a little further?

Customer:

I recieved a letter from stating that im currently under indictment for unlawful use of a weapon, and aggervated discharge of a firearm, and i was brought in to police station questioned and released

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Were you questioned by the police first or did you receive the letter first?

Customer:

Question by police, and i applied for f.o.i.d card and that was the reason for denial

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

OK. That means you were indicted by a grand jury and formally charged. There is most likely a warrant for your arrest.

Customer:

will they come to my home?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You need to contact the police and tell them you received the letter. It is better that you turn yourself in than have the police kick down your door. Also, if you turn yourself in, it gives you a chance to plan it out.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

yes, i moment

Customer:

So theres definitely a warrant, by the statement by the state police or could they be still investigating?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you were indicted, they are finished investigating and a warrant was issued.

Customer:

and what would likely be bail for those particular offenses

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The bail is set by the judge and there is no set amount. It depends on the judge.

Customer:

Is there a range for these offenses

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

For the bail?

Customer:

bail range

Customer:

do they act on a warrant or do they let it go outstanding?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

There is no set range. It usually depends on the facts of the case, the prior criminal history of the defendant, and the individual judge. If you arrange to turn yourself in, you can sometimes find out the bail ahead of time.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

They will act. It is simply a matter of time. You need to call the police tomorrow.

Customer:

ok, thank you...

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no,thxs, if anymore question arise, can i contact this website?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, you can contact me directly simply by posting your question with "this question is for TexCrimLawyer" in the title.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If I've answered your question, please click the "Accept" button.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If I don't hear from you again, good luck.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Please remember to click "Accept" so that I may receive credit for my answer and so that I can assist other customers.

Customer:

1 more question, why wasnt i charged when they picked me up,

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Because they were still investigating.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the difference between under indictment and indicted?
It is the same thing. Saying a person is "under indictment" is just another way of saying they've been indicted and have the case currently pending.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A warrant hasn't been issued, so is there a possiblity it was found a no true bill sence a warrant hasn't been issued?

If the letter says you are under indictment, then you have been indicted. If no warrant was issued and you are under indictment, that means that the DA elected to issue a summons. If the letter doesn't give you a court date, you need to call the district attorney and find out when your court date is.

If you already have a lawyer, your lawyer will find this out for you. If you don't have a lawyer, you need to hire one as soon as possible. If you can't afford a lawyer, call the court where the case is pending (it should be in the letter, if not, the DA should be able to tell you). Once you find the number for the court, call them and tell them about the letter you received, and then ask about their procedures to get a court appointed lawyer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I applied for Foid and got a denial back stating that i was under indictment for unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated use of a firearm does that mean I have been charged and waiting for trial or is the grandjury still reviewing evidence
If it says you are under indictment, the you've been indicted. A person is not under indictment until the grand jury indicts them by voting on the indictment. The FOID people would have no way of knowing if you were simply being investigated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok but it also stated that the prosecutor could not go with the charges or the grand jury could not believe their is enough evidence and the deifiniton of indictment is a formal written statement by a prosecutor and found by a jury charging with an offense so is it possible for the prosecutor not to act on the charges im just not full understanding the indictment process
How long is the letter? Is it possible for you to retype in so I can read it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It States Your application for a foid card has been received by the Illinois State Police. Records also indicate you are currently under indictment for an arrest on April 3, 2011 for unlawful use of Weapon and Aggravated Discharge of Firearm which you will need to provide us with court documents before we will review your file
I can't make this any simpler...if the letter says you are under indictment, then you've been indicted. In order to be indicted, the prosecutor presents the case to the grand jury. If the grand jury votes to indict the person, then that person is "under indictment." From everything you've told me, you've been indicted. I don't know how else to explain it to you. You need to contact the DA's office to see what you need to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I have contacted the DA office and they state nothing is there only traffic no summons no warrants so I dont no what else to do but thank you
Contact the Illinois state police. They claim to have uncovered the fact that you were indicted, so they must have some information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am currently holding for them now thanks. So if im indicted why wouldn't their be a warrant or a summons I got this letter a week ago

I don't know. Something sounds strange. But, if the Illinois State police say you were indicted, then they should be able to provide you with that information. If they can't, then their letter was wrong.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am speaking with Illinois state police now and they state the case has been update stating release without charge so obviously they gave me the wrong information had me scared thanks for your help
Glad it worked out. If I've been helpful, please click the "Accept" button. Also, bonuses are always appreciated. Good luck.