Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience

what is the likely sentence of a person convicted of forgery

what is the likely sentence of a person convicted of forgery? bail amount is $10000
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

I am prepared to answer your question so long as you understand no person can guarantee and outcome but only provide an education presumption based upon information.

Does the defendant have a prior arrest record? If so, what and when?

What was forged?

Is the defendant able to pay restitution/compensation if money is owed?

In what state did the forgery take place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the defendant has a prior record. I 2000 he was arrested probation violation for failure to register.

I believe ihs cousin's boyfriend asked him to cash a check that belonged to his brother. The brother is in jail with a life sentence. The money was for the brother's book.
Since no money was obtained their shoul be no restituion.

The forgery on the counterfeit ID was in California
California’s law against forgery (Penal Code 470) covers several acts related to misrepresenting. Under the law, it doesn’t matter whether the alleged victim was actually defrauded. It also doesn’t matter whether you later paid back the alleged victim or made other restitution. The prosecution only must prove that you intended to defraud him or her. Due to the amount it would probably be charged as a felony. A felony forgery offense is punishable by imprisonment in state prison for 16 months, or two or three years. A conviction may also result in fines of up $10,000 for felony convictions or $1000 for misdemeanor convictions if his attorney is able to get it reduced to a misdemeanor. The prior conviction may result in a sentence of jail time based upon a felony convinction in that it may be hard to get it reduced down to a misdemeanor.
Experience: over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience