Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Gave son a butt whooping with the belt (pants on, 5 times across

Customer Question

Gave son a butt whooping with the belt (pants on, 5 times across the butt, not buckle). Not enough to bruise him, I thought. But if there was a bruise, someone said i could go to jail. What are the min and max for something like that? Son is 8 years old, and has watched his sister lose her IPod, tv, dvd player, scout camp, etc because we thought she stole 400 dollars, and then caught him last week jimmying the lock on the locked cabinet in the dining room stealing.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
It is child abuse, which is a misdemeanor under WV Code 61-8D-3, punishable by up to a year in jail if there is no serious injury, but if there is serious injury it is a felony punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison. Corporal punishment, spanking, is allowed in WV, but if there is ANY physical injury, it is child abuse and will be prosecuted.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And is a bruise considered serious physical injury? And what are the chances for probation on a first time offense?
No a bruise would be minor injury making it a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail. On a first offense, chances are you would be given no jail, but probation and made to pay for and attend parenting classes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Thank you.