Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

If a person gives a false identity to a police officer in the

Customer Question

If a person gives a false identity to a police officer in the course of a detainment, what possible penalties/fines does this carry? (in Ohio)
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Giving false information to an officer could be considered identity fraud, which prohibits a person from giving someone else's identifying information as his own. Ohio Rev. Code, Section 2913.49. Identity fraud is a felony of the fifth degree, which means that it is punishable by 6-12 months imprisonment, plus a fine of up to $2,500.

Alternatively, there is a statute that requires a person to give identification to a police officer, when the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe that the person is involved in a crime. Violation of that statute is a misdemeanor.