Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I need clarification as to what constitutes trial testimony,

I need clarification as to what constitutes trial testimony, i.e. testimony that may be submitted by the defense to the appellate court for their consideration.
Priior to my fed. trial, Daubert hearings were held. Testimony given by gov. experts then was substantially contradicted by those same experts in their trial testimony. Had the testimony remained consistant, the guilty verdict may have been avoided. Will the Circuit court consider such contradicting testimony if articulated by the defense?
At my fed. trial, gov. witnesses and investigators provided testimony that , in some instances, was wholly contradicted by information (evidence, statements) contained within the Discovery reports, including lab reports. Again, this may have had impact on the outcome of the trial. Example: a gov. chemist threw away trace evidence recovered from the scene. She recorded having done so in her report. However, she failed to mention this action at trial. My defense attorney failed to object to there stark discrepancies during trial. From which legal standpoint might I convey these testimony discrepancies to my appellate panel?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
All testimony taken under oath in the court below is considered testimony that can be submitted to the court of appeals for review. Even testimony in motion hearings is taken under oath, and as such that is testimony capable of review. If your defense attorney failed to object, then you will also have to claim ineffective assistance of counsel in your appeal as well, since the attorney should have not only objected in trial, but should have also tried to impeach the testimony with the prior testimony from the motion hearings as it was taken under oath.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”