Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My brother has a probation violation , they said he is looking

My brother has a "probation violation", they said he is looking at 9 yrs. minimum. They offered him a 5-yr. plea deal? Any suggestions? I noticed on the court docket, it said RULE 609, which has to do with evidence. He's trying to turn in evidence against someone else that they want - any suggestions? He only has a public defender who doesn't seem to give any advice at all.
If he has a probation violation without any evidence in his defense that he did not commit the violation, then a deal for only 1/2 of the time (approximately) that he can get on the violation is not a bad deal. If he has evidence on someone that they want then he needs to get his public defender to work out a better deal in exchange for that evidence. However, aside from working a better deal in exchange for him providing evidence, if he has no defense to the probation violation then he should consider taking the deal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, as far as the probation violation, he was in another state and was driving in a car with a driver that had an suspended license. Pretty stupid. Trying to find out if it's a felony in CA vs. AZ?
Driving on suspended is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months in jail in CA. But it is a probation violation and that is the real problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I agree, very, very stupid. I live in CA and he's in AZ. Only has a public defender who doesn't give any advice.
AZ and CA the driving on suspended is a misdemeanor.