Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience
5180018

I was recently granted a order of dismissal of my felonies

Customer Question

I was recently granted a order of dismissal of my felonies also an am told my gun rights are not restored under 1203.4 or 1203.4a ,so my question is how do I restore these rights or can I for that matter, FYI my convictions were possession of stolen property 2 counts! Thank you....
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

In order to own and/or possess a firearm, both your California criminal history record and your Federal criminal history record need to be clear of any prohibitive offenses.

For those misdemeanor convictions which result in the loss of guns rights, those rights are restored automatically after 10 years, subject to two major exceptions. Convictions for certain firearm misdemeanors, for example some brandishing and discharge offenses, impose a lifetime prohibition. Also, a California misdemeanor conviction deemed to be “domestic violence” under Federal law currently results in denial for life.

Possession of stolen property alone without anything else should not prevent you from being able to poss so I suggest you talk with your prior attorney to make sure there isn't anything else.