LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I need to know if there is a mandatory sentence for driving

I need to know if there is a mandatory sentence for driving on suspended for the 3rd offense
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm sorry of hear of your dilemma.

You would do well to retain an experienced attorney to defend your case and hopefully, arrange a plea bargain that can keep you out of jail. There is no mandatory sentence for a third time offender of driving on a suspended in the state of Tennessee. However, if you simply plead guilty, I would expect that you would do a small amount of jail time, at a minimum.

In Tennessee, the range of penalties for the 3rd conviction for driving on a suspended within a 10 year period brings with it a Class A misdemeanor with a possible sentence of up to one year in jail and fines of up to $2,500. Additionally, the court may deem you a habitual offender and there is a possibility that there could be ordered a permanent revocation of your driving privileges.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, it would not be a slap in the face to the DA if I plead not guilty and hire a lawyer? This is my second appearance and the appearance that I am to plead guilty or not guilty. Also, I have just found out that warrants were misprinted! My social on all the warrants and court documents are wrong. Does that make a difference?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

The prosecutor doesn't care if you plead not guilty. Until you have an attorney that is the smart thing to do.

The fact that your social is incorrect will not make a bit of difference, I;m afraid. it may be corrected at any time. Unless you can show that they have the wrong guy, the social error is really a non issue.

I wish you success in your defense and plea.

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. So, I am under the impression that it would not be a "slap in the face" to the D.A. for me to plead not guilty? Also, I just found out that my social securtiy number is XXXXX on all the documents...including the original warrant, does that make a difference?