Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I RECEIVED A CALL FROM A XXXXX XXXXX FRIDAY STATING HE WAS

I RECEIVED A CALL FROM A XXXXX XXXXX FRIDAY STATING HE WAS CALLING TO INFORM ME THAT HE HAD 4 CHECKS THAT I HAD WRITTEN TO A CASINO IN SHREVEPORT, LA, IN 2005 THAT WERE INSUFFICIENT, TOTALLING $1100 AND THAT AFTER "FINDING" ME HE WAS TURNING HIS PAPER WORK INTO STANDFORD MEDICATION SERVICES AND THAT CRIMINAL, FELONY, CHARGES WERE BEING SUBMITTED AND THAT I WOULD BE ARRESTED AT MY PLACE OF EMPLOYEMENT IN THE NEXT 24-48HRS. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD NO RECOLLECTION OF THIS HAPPENING IN 2005 BUT THAT YES I HAD WRITTEN 4 CHECKS IN THE LATE 90'S THAT WENT TO TELECHECK AND HAD OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, MADE RESTITUTION FOR THIS DEPT AND THAT NOTHING LIKE THIS WAS ON MY CREDIT REPORT. I TOLD HIM THAT THIS WAS THE FIRST THAT I HEARD OF THIS CHARGE, THAT I COULDN'T POSSIBLY HAVE DONE THIS AS I WAS NOW REMARRIED IN 2000 AND THAT MY HUSBAND WOULD DIVORCE ME SHOULD I PARTICIPATE IN WRITING HOT CHECKS EVER AGAIN, ESPECIALLY IN REGARD TO AN OLD GAMBLING PROBLEM. I CALLED HIM BACK, USING MY CALLER ID NUMBER, AND ASKED HIM IF IT WAS A FELONY, THAT WAS GOING TO THE SHERIFF'S DEPT TO TURN MYSELF IN AND GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS, DUE TO THE FACT I AM A NURSE WORKING IN CRITICAL CARE, AND THAT SHOULD I EVER GET REMOVED FROM WORK IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED ABANDONMENT AND I COULD LOOSE MY JOB. HE TOLD ME TO HOLD UP, NOT TO GO TO THE POLICE, THAT HE WOULD HOLD THE PAPER WORK UNTIL MONDAY WHEN I HAD TOLD HIM I WOULD BE GOING TO MY CREDIT UNION TO INVESTIGATE ANY POSSIBLE RETURNED CHECKS FROM THE YEAR 2005. THIS MAN KNEW MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, EVEN CALLED MY DAUGHTER IN ANOTHER CITY, TO SEEK MY WHEREABOUTS, KNEW MY ACCT NUMBER AT THE CREDIT UNION AND HAD MY PO BOX NUMBER. I TOLD HIM IF HE HAD MY PO BOX NUMBER, THAT I HAVE HAD FOR OVER 10YRS AND WAS ON MY CHECKS, THEN WHY HAD I NOT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BEFORE. HE SAID THAT IT WAS "A LONG TIME AGO...." AND THAT AN EFFORT HAD BEEN MADE EARLY ON TO CONTACT ME THROUGHT THE MAIL. I WAS IN NEVADA WHEN I RECEIVED THIS CALL, AT A NURSING CONFERENCE, TO RETURN TO TEXAS WHERE I HAVE LIVED THE PAST 11 YEARS. I WAS SO UPSET, AND WITH MY PAST HX, MY HUSBAND WAS UPSET AND THOUGHT I HAD BEEN LYING TO HIM FOR THE PAST 6 YRS ABOUT NO LONGER GAMBLING. EVEN MY DAUGHTER WAS SUSPECT AND CONCERNED ABOUT THIS AND POSSIBLITY OF ME GOING TO JAIL. I HAVE SINCE SEEN SOME THINGS OVER THE INTERNET THAT IMPLY THAT THIS ENTIRE THING IS A SCAM. CAN YOU SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS, AND WHAT MY RIGHTS ARE, WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW, DO I NEED A LAWYER, WHO DO I NEED TO REPORT TO NEXT? ETC. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING AVAILABLE TO USE UNINFORMED CITIZENS WHO DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO TURN TO NEXT.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

YES

Alex Esquire :

Good Evening. Where was this person from?

Customer:

HIS NUMBER WAS FROM NORTH CAROLINA XXX-XXX-XXXX, XXXXX XXXXX.

Alex Esquire :

This is a public forum please do not use any personally identifying information.

Alex Esquire :

Did this person identified himself to be from some sort of collection firm or company?

Customer:

NO, HE SAYS HE IS AN "INVESTIGATOR" FOR STANDFORD.

Alex Esquire :

What is standford?

Customer:

STANFORD MEDIATION SERVICES I THINK.

Alex Esquire :

Why would they be involved in this?

Customer:

HE SAID THEY WERE SEEKING PROSECTION FOR CHECK FRAUD, DUE TO THE 4 CHECKS HE SAID THEY HAD RECEIVED IN 2005 THAT WERE NOT MADE GOOD ON. HE ALSO SAID THE AMOUNT OF "RESTITUTION" WAS $1100.

Alex Esquire :

The checks were allegedly made payable to the casino, correct?

Customer:

YES.

Alex Esquire :

Why would this company be involved?

Alex Esquire :

Were you at the casino around the time that he is alleging the checks were given?

Customer:

I DON'T KNOW. HE SAID THAT THEY HAD THE CHECKS AND HAD TRIED TO CONTACT ME ABOUT THEM OVER THE LAST 6 YRS BUT WERE UNABLE TO LOCATE ME. I DID GO TO THE CASINO COUPLE TIMES A YEAR WHEN VISITING MY DAUGHTER IN SHREVEPORT, AS I LIVED IN TX, BUT I WAS NOT ABLE TO WRITE CHECKS BECAUSE OF THE CHECKS THAT HAD BOUNCED IN 1990'S THAT I DID MAKE RESTITUTION FOR THROUGH A COLLECTION AGENCY. I CHANGED BANK ACCTS SOME TIME BETWEEN 2004 AND 2006 BUT STILL HAVE GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THE PREVIOUS CREDIT UNION.

Alex Esquire :

If this man is threatening you with criminal prosecution, you should consult with a local criminal defense attorney right away! Last thing you want to do is to talk any further with this man or even worst turn yourself over to the Sheriff's Department.

Alex Esquire :

I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST NOT TO DO ANYTHING OR SPEAK TO ANYONE ABOUT THIS MATTER, UNTIL YOU MEET WITH AND CONSULT WITH AN EXPERIENCED LOCAL CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY!

Customer:

DO YOU THINK THIS COULD BE A SCAM?

Alex Esquire :

It can be anything, but it needs to be looked further into by an attorney who is experienced in this type of matters. If it is a scam, this person knows way too much personal information about you and would need to be dealt with. I would not suggest getting law enforcement involved until you have this matter examined by a criminal attorney.

Customer:

THEN MY GETTING AN ATTORNEY ASAP WOULD BE THE MOST APPROPRIATE NEXT STEP IN THIS SITUATION?

Alex Esquire :

Yes and not to speak to this man or anyone else about the matter until you consult with an experienced local criminal attorney. What city in Nevada are you in?

Customer:

I WAS ONLY VISITING NEVEDA ON A NURSING CONFERENCE

Alex Esquire :

Which city did you visit?

Customer:

THIS MAN CALLED ME ON MY CELL PHONE. I WAS AT "A SLICE OF NTI" IN VEGAS WITH ANOTHER NURSE WHO WAS ALSO MY ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER, BEING AWARE OF MY GAMBLING PROBLEM FROM THE 90'S. I KNOW NOT TO GO TO CASINO'S ALONE DUE TO THIS PROBLEM THAT I HAVE NEVER DENIED.

Alex Esquire :

Ok, the reason I asked is to see how this man found you in Nevada, but since it was a cell phone that makes sense.

Alex Esquire :

So I would suggest just call your local criminal defense attorney first thing tomorrow morning and let him get to the bottom of this.

Alex Esquire :

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Customer:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ADVICE, AS IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, REINFORCING WHAT I ALREADY FELT WAS THE BEST THING FOR ME TO DO AT THIS POINT. THANKS AGAIN.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor