RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

A person stole 4 silver bars and 2 gold cougarands from me.

A person stole 4 silver bars and 2 gold cougarands from me. It was disvovered after he was sent to prison on other charges. Can I press grand larcency charges against him?
Thank you for your question.

A private person cannot by themselves press charges (that is left to the prosecutor's office), however, if you have evidence that a crime was committed against you, you can contact the authorities and report it and allow them to investigate and possibly arrest the person on new charges.

I trust this has been helpful but please don't hesitate to reply back if you have additional questions or require more information.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The police took my information and I have not heard back. That was 2 weeks ago. What is the amount for it to be grand larceny? I am 77 years old and on a fixed income. I don't want to hire a lawyer if I don't have a case.
Anything valued at $1,000 or more is considered felony theft. The more value something has, the higher the degree of felony and the more severe the possible penalty.

There would be no need for you to hire a lawyer in this matter; I just suggest you follow-up with the police to see what the status of the investigation is.