Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

I am supposed to be in court in las vegas tommorrow morning

Customer Question

I am supposed to be in court in las vegas tommorrow morning and cant make it, it is an arraingnment for a possession of a controlled substance, what are my options?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Why can't you be there?

Is there a medical reason?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to go to the hospital for celulitus that has appeared on my leg this morning. It is a skin infection/condition that i have had before. Since I have had a hip replacement last June, I am more suseptable to infections like this and they can actually cause death if not treated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Forgot to mention that I live in Washington state, so it would be rather difficult/costly for me to get to Las Vegas.

Dear JACUSTOMER - If you are in the hospital that is a reasonable excuse for not appearing in court. You should call the court first thing tomorrow morning and inform them of the problem. I can't guarantee that they will not issue a warrant for failure to appear but I know they will if you don't call and don't show. for court.

You definitely need to get an attorney and if you can't afford an attorney the court will appoint one.

If a warrant is issued you will need to make arrangements to appear as soon as you can do so physically. If you can get a letter from your doctor that will help to show the court that you had a good reason for not appearing. Hopefully the court will continue your initial appearance for a few days due to your medical situation. Just be certain to call first thing tomorrow morning.

The fact that you live out of state is probably not going to matter since you have a responsibility to appear from wherever you are located.

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience practicing attorney
Thanks for using our service - Dave