TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

how much time can you get for taking tabacoo to an inmate in

how much time can you get for taking tabacoo to an inmate in prison and you get caught and it is your first time of ever being in trouble.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is this in federal or state prison?

Customer:

state

Customer:

are you there

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, I was just checking a few things.

Customer:

what did you find out

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

OK. The penalties for smuggling contraband into a prison are harsh. A person could face up to 5 years in prison.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Have you been charged with a crime yet?

Customer:

no

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Are you under investigation, or just wondering what the penalty could be?

Customer:

they caught me with it today told me to call tomorrow and talk to the warden

Customer:

I also had 25.00 in cash for my son to give to one of the office for more tabacoo

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

OK. It looks like most people with no prior record get probation, but it is a felony conviction.

Customer:

I have never been in trouble before for anything I am just worryed at i might go to jail or prison

Customer:

that is what they told me today are they just trying to scare me

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If the warden wants to speak with you, it is possible that he is not going to charge you with a crime. If he were, it is unlikely that he wants to charge you. Normally, if they want to charge you, they will have you meet with criminal investigators.

Customer:

wouldn't they have charged me today

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

They are probably just trying to scare you. The prison officials can't tell you what sentence you will receive.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Maybe, but not necessarily.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you haven't done so yet, you may consider hiring a lawyer before you go.

Customer:

do you think I will get charge or my son will get into more trouble

Customer:

I do not have the money for a lawyer I have not finished paying off the first one for his crime

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If they didn't catch you giving it to your son or can't otherwise prove you son was in on it, he won't get in more trouble.

Customer:

they said that they had an informet

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If they can prove your son knew, he will probably face some kind of administrative penalty, like loss of good time or administrative segregation.

Customer:

he does not have any good time they already took that a while back

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I can't really say if you'll be charged, but it is possible. Like I said, even if you were convicted, it is likely that you would receive probation.

Customer:

and tell know it was for him and what about the office he was going to give the money to

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Well, there are plenty of other administrative penalties they can enforce.

Customer:

will he get more time

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If they can prove he conspired with you to get tobacco in the prison, it is possible. Again, it depends on whether they plan to go criminal or administrative. But, it is possible.

Customer:

they wanted to know who the office was that was getting to money but I did not know what will happen to him

Customer:

they know that the tabacco was for him because they ask me and i told them they ask me why and I just told them I was being stuid for doing something like this

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

It is impossible for me to tell you what is going to happen...I can't see the future. I can only say what the possibilities are. It is possible your son will get charged with a new crime. It is also possible that they will handle it administratively. Since they want you to meet with the warden and not criminal investigators, that's a good sign.

Customer:

he wanted it and begging all the time i coundn't stand it

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Even if it was for him, they have to prove he knew about it and asked you to bring it. Without knowing all the evidence, it is impossible to say what they will do.

Customer:

I thought they would have arrested me today but instead they let me leave and just told me to call

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Again, that is a good sign that they don't plan to go criminal.

Customer:

I hope so I don't know what I will do If I go to jail how much probation does someone get for something like this

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Depends on the judge, but usually a few years, 3-5.

Customer:

will I get a felony on my record for this

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If convicted, yes.

Customer:

and a felony usally carries jail time

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Not always. You can get probation for a felony.

Customer:

ok well I will hope for the best and pray I wish I would have never let him talk me into this mess but you have been very helpful thankyou

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. If I've answered your questions, please click the "Accept" button. Good luck to you and your son.

Customer:

thankyou