Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

1. The Supreme Court decision affirming that police arent justified

Customer Question

1. The Supreme Court decision affirming that police aren’t
justified in using deadly force to prevent a nonviolent suspect
from escaping capture is
A. Aguilar v. Texas.
B. Payton v. New York.
C. Tennessee v. Garner.
D. Hayes v. Florida.
2. In what case did the Supreme Court rule that a defendant has
to have a probable cause hearing no more than 48 hours after
an arrest?
A. County of Riverside v. McLaughlin
B. California v. Hodari D.
C. Hoffa v. United States
D. Ker v. Illinois
3. According to common law in most states, when may a citizen
make an arrest without a warrant?
A. When the suspect is a minor
B. When there’s a risk of flight
C. During the commission of a felony
D. When there’s fresh pursuit
4. When may an officer make a warrantless intrusion into a home to make a routine
felony arrest?
A. During the night only C. During the day only
B. Never D. When there’s probable cause
5. What requires a defendant to appear before a court at a particular time and place?
A. Arrest warrant C. Summons
B. Misdemeanor D. Felony
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
1) Tennessee v. Garner, court held police can only use deadly force if the suspect is posing a significant threat of death or serious injury to others.

2) County of Riverside v. McLaughlin, ruled, “Where an arrested individual does not receive a probable cause determination within 48 hours, the burden of proof shifts to the government to demonstrate the existence of a bona fide emergency or other extraordinary circumstance, which cannot include intervening weekends or the fact that, in a particular case, it may take longer to consolidate pretrial proceedings.”

3) When there is commission of a felony

4) When there is probable Cause. It cannot be NEVER, since there are exemptions to the warrant requirement such as hot pursuit that exempt entry without a warrant.

5) Summons.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
6. When may law enforcement officers make a warrantless public arrest for a felony?
A. When deadly force has been used
B. Never
C. When serving a summons
D. When there’s probable cause
7. Jurisdiction to try a person isn’t affected by an illegal arrest according to which of
the following?
A. The “fleeing felon” rule C. The Ker-Frisbie doctrine
B. Sabbath v. United States D. Gerstein v. Pugh
8. Which of the following amendments to the Constitution expressly focuses on searches?
A. Third C. Sixth
B. Fourth D. Fifth
9. In which of the following cases did the United States Supreme Court say that “special
needs” may exist when conducting searches of students?
A. New Jersey v. T.L.O. C. Coolidge v. New Hampshire
B. Franks v. Delaware D. Berger v. New York
10. Which of the following is the authority at law that addresses the issue of
electronic surveillance?
A. The Fourth Amendment
B. Title III of the Omnibus Crime Control Act of 1968
C. The First Amendment
D. Title IX of the Omnibus Crime Control Act of 2001
6) When there is probable cause.

7) Ker-Frisbee doctrine

8) Fourth Amendment

9) NJ v. T.L.O.

10) Title III

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
11. Which of the following parties engages in direct examination first?
A. Defense C. Prosecution
B. Court D. Jury
12. Which of the following is “merely the written evidence of the final disposition of the
case, signed by the judge”?
A. Jurisdiction C. Verdict
B. Judgment D. Appeal
13. Which of the following parties has the burden of proof?
A. Defense C. Prosecution
B. Court D. Jury
14. An example of post-conviction relief is a/an
A. appeal.
B. motion for judgment for verdict of acquittal.
C. ex post facto petition.
D. defendant seeking the “mercy of the court.”
15. In which of the following cases did the United States Supreme Court apply the exclusionary
rule to state court proceedings, on issues involving the Fourth Amendment?
A. Mapp v. Ohio C. United States v. Leon
B. Gideon v. Wainwright D. Weeks v. United States
11) Prosecution

12) Judgment

13) Prosecution

14) Appeal

15) Mapp v. Ohio

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Heyyy! Last set of 5 questions sorry for using you too much.

16. Which of the following is one of the alternatives to the exclusionary rule?
A. Privacy C. Standing
B. Filing suit for damages D. Acquittal
17. Which of the following does the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine focus on?
A. Standing C. Reasonableness
B. Derivative evidence D. Privacy
18. To be able to raise a claim of violation of constitutional rights, a defendant has to have
which of the following?
A. Standing C. Reasonableness
B. Secondary evidence D. Privacy
19. The United States Supreme Court adopted the good-faith exception to the exclusionary
rule in which of the following cases?
A. Mapp v. Ohio C. Terry v. Ohio
B. Gideon v. Wainwright D. United States v. Leon
20. Evidence that might be excluded because of the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine
might still be admitted into evidence under which of the following?
A. Presumption of innocence C. Burden of proof
B. Independent source doctrine D. Good effort doctrine
16) Suit for damages.

17) Derivative Evidence

18) Standing

19) U.S. v. Leon

20) Independent source doctrine

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer