JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I have a question about medical marijuana. I currently use

I have a question about medical marijuana. I currently use the drug for chronic pain from many years of football. It helps take the migraines away and really helps with the pinched nerves. I am currently on adult probation in Maricopa County. I would like to know if I were to get clearance from a doctor to legally use medical marijuana and go through the whole process of being legal to purchase and consume marijuana, if my probation officer could violate me or tell me I have to stop using it, even though I am legal in the states eyes to use it?

I have searched high and low on this subject with mixed results. I have not spoken to a lawyer and am not whiling to ask my probation officer because I am worried that will raise suspicion and the trust I have built up with him is gone.

Please help

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

As a general matter, a condition of probation is that one is to follow all laws.

JB Umphrey :

At this time, marijuana is still against federal law.

JB Umphrey :

So, yes, even if you are a bonafide cardholder for medical marijuana, your probation officer can still violate you if you test dirty.

JB Umphrey :

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, you can select ACCEPT to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Right, but even though marijuana is against federal law. Didnt Obama tell the governments not to impose any charges to individuals who are abiding by local laws?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, however, there still are federal prosecutions and the laws are still on the books.