Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My Son Took a Plea Arrangement in 4/2007 in Cleveland Co. N.C.,

My Son Took a Plea Arrangement in 4/2007 in Cleveland Co. N.C., he had attempted to break out of jail, and jumped a jail officer, and was in a post-drug-delirious, state in 2005 right after Katrina. NOW he is in much better frame of mind. BUT the charges are running Consecutive. He was just 27, when ALL this happened. Is there ANY way to get His TIME Decreased. He will have been in Prison for 6 YEARS in N.C. 2 years in close custody. He has went to College and Graduated with Honors, while there. Because he detained the officer he got 16 YEARS! Is there ANY Way to Appeal, Plea, and the Time? Is there an Attorney you would recommend?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
At this time the ONLY way to appeal is by an Application/Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus. There is no way to tell if there are any grounds without a complete review of the file and evidence, but if everything was a continuous sequence of events there is at least an argument that the charges should have been run concurrent rather than consecutive.

We aren't allowed to giver referrals on here but you can find a lawyer in NC to assist you by going to www.avvo.com and looking for someone who does appeals or appellate work. I ran a search for you and you can find the results at http://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?q=criminal+appeals&loc=North+Carolina

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

FOR JD 1992 Thank YOU! If you get this back? Tell Me What would You do? If you were the Parent?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
I would at least investigate all possibilities. Most lawyers who do this kind of work will talk to you and quote you a price to look the file over and see if there is anything there worth appealing. If nothing else it will give you a little peace of mind to know for sure there is or is not anything you can do.