Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

How long does an investigation usually take until an arrest

How long does an investigation usually take until an arrest is made for a stolen EBT card? I was in jail while it was used. I have proof that I was in jail and that it was used. I know that my, now ex, live-in girlfriend has used it because I gave her the pin and she has used it before. I did not give her permission to use it while I was in jail. Also, it is possible to press charges against her for this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes I am here

Alex Esquire :

Which agency is investigating this crime?

Customer:

I have not reported it yet, but it would be reported to my local police department.

Alex Esquire :

Who's EBT card was this?

Customer:

It was mine.

Alex Esquire :

If your ex-girlfriend stole and used this card you can report it to the police.

Alex Esquire :

Also why is police investigating you, if this was your card?

Customer:

They are not investigating me. I was in jail because i was charged with domestic battery. I just want to know if i can press charges and how long will it take to get her arrested for stealing from me?

Alex Esquire :

You can make a police report. There is no set time for them to investigate. However if you have given you ex-gf your EBT card and also your pin, it would look like that you have given her authorization to use your card.

Customer:

Ok so basically it's my word against hers.

Alex Esquire :

Keep in mind that it might be illegal to give your EBT card to anyone, as it is non-transferable.

Customer:

Technically i didnt give it to her, but I did let her use it in the past. While i was in jail it was left in my wallet at home.

Alex Esquire :

Correct and it might actually make the situation worst for you as well. Both of you can be charged. She can be charged with unauthorized use of your EBT card and you can be charged with unlawful transfer of the public benefit card.

Alex Esquire :

Reporting her as a form of revenge, might backfire on you and bring more attention to your situation from the law enforcement and most people do not want to have that type of attention or scrutiny.

Customer:

Ok I see, and she can simply argue that we were using the food stamps as a household since we lived together?

Alex Esquire :

This is always an issue with bank/credit cards that require a pin to be used. The pin is not supposed to be given to anyone but the intended user, so unless someone forces you at a gun point to give them your pin, in most cases it is very hard to prove that the person who has used the card by using a pin, did it without the owner's authorization.

Alex Esquire :

Correct.

Alex Esquire :

I would suggest that you simply stay away from her to avoid any further problems and issues with her, such as potential restraining order, police reports, etc...

Alex Esquire :

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor