Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

What is the current law for GOOD TIME in Louisiana. Is it still

What is the current law for GOOD TIME in Louisiana. Is it still 5 days for every 30 days? Also once an inmate is in DOC in louisiana are there any programs he can take to increase his good time? Nonviolent,2nd offense
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Here is the Louisiana law as it pertains to the credits - it is 5 for every 30. The programs are available. He would need to discuss his eligibility of whatever programs he is interested in with his case manager. Then he needs to put his name on the list

PART IV. DIMINUTION AND COMMUTATION

OF SENTENCE FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR

§571.3. Diminution of sentence for good behavior

A.(1) Every prisoner in a parish prison convicted of an offense and sentenced to imprisonment without hard labor, except a prisoner convicted a second time of a crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B) or when the sentencing court has denied or conditioned eligibility for "good time" as provided in R.S. 15:537, may earn a diminution of sentence, to be known as "good time", by good behavior and performance of work or self-improvement activities, or both. The amount of diminution of sentence allowed under this Paragraph shall be at the rate of thirty days for every thirty days in actual custody, except for a prisoner convicted a first time of a crime of violence, as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), who shall earn diminution of sentence at the rate of three days for every seventeen days in actual custody, including in either case time spent in custody with good behavior prior to sentence for which the prisoner is given credit.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck