TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.

How can I obtain the video of an alleged shoplifting incident

How can I obtain the video of an alleged shoplifting incident? I was with a friend (who is Hispanic) I am black. They caught her in the alleged act. Once they detained her they said they during her detention they were surprised that she was the person that shoplifted, as the anticipated that I would be the shoplifter. My mother then contacted the store in regard to this inappropriate comment and they said that there comments were made based on my "actions" while in the store. I would like to see the video of the "actions" that caused this comment.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 3 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Was your friend charged?

Customer:

yes

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

As part of your friend's criminal case, she can get a copy of the video. The prosecutor will let her view it or copy it as part of the discovery process.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Since you were not charged, the store is not obligated to give you a copy.

Customer:

she can request it on her own? she is not reresented

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, she can. She needs to call the DA's office and request a copy.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Unfortunately, that is the only way is will be available to you, since the store is under no legal obligation to give you a copy.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

I know that you are a criminal atty. But do you feel this has any civil merit? This store was fined 600k for racial profiling in the past

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Since you were not detained or charged, it is very unlikely that you have a case. If you had been wrongfully charged because of profiling, then, you could. But, you cannot sue the store because someone that works there has racist tenancies, especially if they don't act on them.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

No thank you for your help

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. If I've answered your questions to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept" button so that I may receive credit for my work. Good luck.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.