Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

GOT A QUESTION.. In my early 20s I committed 3 offences, these

GOT A QUESTION.. In my early 20's I committed 3 offences, these are the only 3 that now show up on my criminal record, i'm now in my late 40's and for over 20 years I have only received parking tickets since, I guess you can say (i seen the light over 20 years ago) LOL. Anyways the 3 charrges are as follows.

retail theft---in 1984
theft by deception--- in 1989
bad checks----in 1990

Can I get these 3 charges on my record Expunged?? I live in pennsylvania.. if so can you refer me to an attorney that practices law in PA

Unfortunately, though you certainly deserve recognition for having stayed out of trouble for 20 years, the state of Pennsylvania is not the place where you can get it. They will expunge a summary offiense if you are crime free for 5 years after your conviction on one. But for them to remove any other conviction from your record you have to be at least 70 years old and out of trouble for the 10 preceding years, or (believe it or not) dead for three years. You can see this for yourself here.

The only other thing you can do to lessen the effects of your criminal conviction would be to apply to the governor of Pennsylvania for a pardon. This doesn't erase a conviction or seal a record. But it will be shown as pardoned, if yours is granted, which is still official state recognition that you have turned your life around. YOu don't need a lawyer to get this if you're inclined to try. Here is a sample of the application for a pardon in Pennsylvania. But the Board of Pardons asks its applicants to contact them directly for forms. You can find their contact number here.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.