Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

What can I do, as a private citizen to expedite mental health

What can I do, as a private citizen to expedite mental health care for my incarcerated brother?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, the only thing that you can do that is likely to get some results is to keep after your brother's attorney. You can call the prison yourself and tell them if it makes you feel better, but you are unlikely to accomplish anything more than just getting it off of your chest.

His attorney can get your brother back before the judge where medical care (or suicide watch if that's what your hinting at) can be ordered. He can also reach out to the legal division of the Department of Corrections and put them on notice that there's particular problem here that ought to be investigated and corrected before something happens to this inmate for which they could be held responsible. That has been known to work.