Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Im not sure this qualifies for criminal law but Ill explain

I'm not sure this qualifies for criminal law but I'll explain my problem. I live in a condo assn and a woman Ive been friendly with, has started 'bad mouthing' me. I've had friends tell me that she is making statements about me that are absolutely untrue. The only way that I can think of to stop her viscious gossip is to sue. Can that be done? Defamation of character, slander, character assassination?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Yes, this isn't really a criminal law matter - instead, it's a civil case for defamation of character (libel and slander) if this person is knowingly making false statements about you and passing it off as true.

You can also get a restraining order to stop her from continuing her actions.