Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was arrested and plead guilty to my second DUI within five

I was arrested and plead guilty to my second DUI within five years in FL. I served my 10 days in jail and since I got a new job in Chicago, they allowed me to be on mail-in probation. I had to fly back a month later to meet with probation officer to give proof of address. Part of my probation is that i cannot consume alcohol. That weekend I did (I dont claim to be perfect, and currently have a sponsor and am voluntarily attending AA meetings ever since). I ended up having to take a urine test for alcohol monday, March 7th. I know that my probation was being switched over to the mail-in department and I have not heard anything since then. I just mailed in my probation fees and copy of community service hours that i have completed. My question is, am I going to get a letter back saying that I have violated my probation or am i just scaring myself to death and I would have heard something by now if i was in some sort of trouble?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

It sounds to me as if your test probably came out negative for the presence of alcohol. But yes, you could wind up being violated and it could cost you at the very least your opportunity to leave the state and keep your job. It's good to hear that you've gotten yourself in gear and have taken affirmative steps to keep this from happening again.

It's been almost a month since your test, and so I think you can likely relax about a violation. You would likely have heard something by now. Nevertheless, bureaucracies being what they are, it's hard to say conclusively. Don't scare yourself to death. Just do what you have to do to keep it from happening again. No news is good news and the longer you hear nothing, the less likely it is that you will.

Good luck with your probtion.