How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently broke up with my girlfriend and have alot of things

Customer Question

I recently broke up with my girlfriend and have alot of things that were left at her house and of course she will not give them back to me, items include camara,mp3 player,binoculars,watches,clothes,brand new 200 dollar cell phone and various different items some of which she took from me without knowing. How do i get them back?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You will have to file a suit in civil court for replevin and, in the alternative, for damages of the value of your items. There is no crime since she didn't take the items from you and the police will never get involved in what they consider to be a civil, domestic matter.


You will need to file your suit in the county or city where she lives and obtain a court order for the return of your items. Once you obtain a court order then you will be able to have an officer of the court accompany you to her house to retrieve your property. Generally, once a suit is filed the defendant does not want to go to court and will simply return the property. The fact that she cheated on you is not relevant since there was no legal or marital relationship.


Dave Kennett