Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I recently broke up with my girlfriend and have alot of things

Customer Question

I recently broke up with my girlfriend and have alot of things that were left at her house and of course she will not give them back to me, items include camara,mp3 player,binoculars,watches,clothes,brand new 200 dollar cell phone and various different items some of which she took from me without knowing. How do i get them back?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You will have to file a suit in civil court for replevin and, in the alternative, for damages of the value of your items. There is no crime since she didn't take the items from you and the police will never get involved in what they consider to be a civil, domestic matter.

You will need to file your suit in the county or city where she lives and obtain a court order for the return of your items. Once you obtain a court order then you will be able to have an officer of the court accompany you to her house to retrieve your property. Generally, once a suit is filed the defendant does not want to go to court and will simply return the property. The fact that she cheated on you is not relevant since there was no legal or marital relationship.

Dave Kennett