Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

The police confiscated my property even though there was no

The police confiscated my property even though there was no crime and I was not arrested, in the police report the cops said I surrendered my property which is not true, so my question is do the police have to have dashboard cams in new jersey and if they do how far back do they go, and are they activated when police are called to the scene (which they were). I want to see if I can use dashboard cams to prove that those cops took my property against my will?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

In order to answer this question, can you explain why you were stopped by the police and what keys an/or other property they took?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks for the help so here is more information on the situation:

I called police because the old tenants of my business were trying to move back into the business even though I bought them out, anyway, police come and discover I have a lease, and they also have a lease
(but their lease was actually terminated). The police didn't want to deal with the situation, so they just took my keys to place of business and said only the landlord will get the keys. In the police report I had possession of the premises and the only sets of keys. 2 weeks later I finally get police report and the officers stated that I surrendered my keys voluntarily which is not true at all. So its my word against theirs, unless their dashboard cameras captured them confiscating my keys, which I am sure they did?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also I lost possession to my business since, the landlord decided to give my keys to other tenants because they actually bribed him, literally in front of my face, I tried taking landlord to court, but his attorney said the landlord didn't evict me, I "surrendered" my keys to landlord according to those corrupt police officers
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

I think the police appear to have called this correctly as a civil dispute between tenants and to decide that the landlord might be in the best position to know who should have access to the building. It does not look like you made out a criminal offense was occurring here. From there, however, it all does get messy.

Still, this is not a criminal matter. You are going to have to consult with a civil lawyer if you are alleging that the actions of the police cost you your business. In order to get the police to turn over recordings -- if they do have them, which is doubtful -- you'd need a judge to sign a subpoena, and you'd need to be in litigation.