TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Ex-husband sold car not registard or titled to him at a shady

Ex-husband sold car not registard or titled to him at a shady car dealership. The car is still registard in my name at the colorado dmv office. I am in the process of aquirring duplicate title now. Can I sue the dealership and seek crimminal charges on the dealership as well as my ex-husband?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

It doesn't sound like anything criminal has transpired, unless your ex stole the car. The dealer certainly would not be liable for anything unless the car was stolen and the dealer knew. At this point, it sounds like a civil action. You could sue the dealer for the car, and then the dealer will need to go after your ex for a refund.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was my daughters car so it wasn't stolen, but my ex sold the car without my knowledge and without me signing over title. This is not a criminal offense? Eventhough I still have the title and the car is still registard to me?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.

Since the car wasn't stolen, the only criminal charges that seem possible would be fraud, with the dealer as the victim. In other words, the dealer was possibly tricked into believing that your ex owned the car and had a right to sell it. If the dealer gave your ex money, then that could be fraud. I doubt it would be fraud against you, however, unless the car was stolen. Your recourse is through the civil courts. Still, you may want to contact the police to see what they say. It certainly can't hurt.