xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
14261217

can you go to prison for a misdemenor in NM. My son was sentenced

can you go to prison for a misdemenor in NM. My son was sentenced to 366 day plus two years probation for one misdemenor and 2 PM.. they have broken his jaw.. keep him five days with no medical care. took the wiring harness out months early and now he has been stabbed... is this legal
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 3 years ago.

xavierjd :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

What do you mean by 2 PM?

Thanks

Customer:

2 petty misdemenors

Customer:

the j and s stated one year plus one day and two years probation for the misdememor and two petty misdemenors

Customer:

did i lose this page..........

xavierjd :

Thank you.

Misdemeanors are crimes which may result in fines, jail time of one year or less (this is due to federal law governing the states) and rehabilitative programs. The penalties for misdemeanor crimes may include:

Full Size Image

Petty misdemeanors:

• up to 6 months in jail

• up to a $500.00 fine

• up to 6 months probation

• community service

• counseling

• license suspension

• driving record points assessed

• recorded NCIC conviction

Full misdemeanor crimes

• up to 364 days in jail

• up to $1,000.00 fine

• up to 1 year probation

• community service

• counseling

• license suspension

• driving record points assessed

• recorded NCIC conviction

If your son was sentenced to MORE than 364 days AND two years probation, it doesn't sound like he was sentenced for a misdemeanor. You may want to go to the court and ask to look at the file. There will be a Judgment of Conviction and/or Judgment of Sentence signed by the judge that will indicate the sentence imposed on your son.

If he was sentenced for a misdemeanor, then the judge exceeded his authority.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work