How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 24037
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there such a thing as a nation-wide order of protection

Resolved Question:

Is there such a thing as a nation-wide order of protection? How can an assault victim fleeing a team of serial rapists that are terrorizing her ensure her safety before moving from one state to another.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

If you are being stalked over several states, you can file a complaint with the FBI. Here are the Federal stalking laws, which I understand, the Federal government takes seriously, assuming you have enough evidence to give them probable cause to arrest.

If you are being stalked locally by people who live in your building and the police are not doing anything about it, in most jurisdications you can bypass the police, walk in off the street to the prosecutor's office, report the offense, say you are in fear for your own safety and ask for a criminal restraining order against the specific persons who are threatening you. Your neighbors will become defendants in a criminal case, and the order, which would last at least as long as the pendency of the case and potentially much longer depending on what happens, would subject them to arrest and additional sanctions if they violate its terms.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions