Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice

How long does a typical fbi investigation take I was given

How long does a typical fbi investigation take? I was given a target letter that just mentions wire fraud and a subpena for records to be mailed to an ausa. This bs has been going on for three years.
Im in Nj, agent and fbi are in chicago. Im using a family friend who is in criminal defense. He said this is bs and I shouldnt worry even though it is hard. Attorney set a call with ausa and agent becuase ausa said he was more comfortable with agent explaining it. When they had the call the agent said nothing. My guy says the agent is the one pushing this by himself. After my attorney complained the way he was talking about me to people he then called my place of work a week later. This has never been shown to a grand jury. He had all my bank records a couple of years ago and spoke to people over the past couple of years 3-5 people and then now he subpena 's the same records from me asking for every document i have about the area he is looking at.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

There really is no such thing as a "typical" FBI investigation -- my father worked for them for years and I can tell you that the bureau will watch people for years if they feel that eventually they can arrest someone for criminal activities. There are no laws stating how long an FBI or any other police investigation can last. They do try to wrap these things up as quickly as possible -- so I would say that three years is a bit much for a wire fraud investigation unless you are moving large amounts of money or drugs. My suggestion is that you hire an attorney to review these matters for you and to get in touch with the FBI to determine whether or not they have a case and, if so, when or if they plan to do anything about it -- so that you can stop living in this limbo that you have been living in. The FBI will talk to your lawyer and the lawyer will at least be able to get some basic information and a feeling for whether or not the FBI is serious about pursuing you for these matters -- if you tried to telephone the FBI yourself, they would simply refuse to provide any information. With an attorney, you will at least get some basic information and then the FBI will be on notice to contact your attorney from this point forward AND that any prosecution of you will not be a walk in the park.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi , thanks for your response. Its not drugs. It's collectibles(sports,movies)and I know for a fact the last three people the agent spoke to told the truth which helps my cause. My question is , wouldnt they have had the ausa bring this to a grand jury and indict me a year or two ago if they had anything on me and not just inuendo.
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. You are absolutely correct in stating that if they had a case against you at this point, they would have brought charges against you or at least tried to have you indicted by a grand jury (it is not that difficult to indict someone at grand jury because the prosecution gets to present all of the evidence against you and the defendant is not allowed to present anything on their own behalf -- in law school we have a saying that a grand jury would "indict a ham sandwich" -- because it's true -- you cannot present a defense until it actually goes to trial). Which makes me believe that what they have on you to date is not enough to do anything -- but the problem is that the FBI can just continue to keep the case open for as long as they want to and there is really nothing that you can do about it. That's why I suggested and do suggest hiring an attorney to get in their faces a bit and try to find out what is going on to some extent.

--Mary

Legalease, Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mary,
I do have an attorney. Just wanted a second opinion. He also stated to the ausa/agent that their is no standard in this hobby(sports collectibles) and its not a conventional business. He said they are having a tough time on what statutes were viotalted. Laslty, they sent me a letter without a subpena asking for my companies taxes from the last six years. Are they busting my chops? whats the purpose from a criminal point of view
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 years ago.

Hello. They probably want to see if your lifestyle can be supported on the income that you are reporting on your tax return every year. That's how they catch drug dealers -- when they report to the IRS that they work at McDonalds and they are driving a Ferrari it gives them just cause to go on a fishing expedition through bank accounts and anything else that has to do with finances. If your lifestyle is pretty much in line with your tax returns and your other finances, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about if they want to look at your taxes -- but you should talk it over with your attorney first -- you and he both know the case more than I do and there might be something in your case or your records which I am unaware of that might make your attorney NOT want to give the FBI access to your tax records. You should also put a standing order in place with the FBI that all requests and contacts must go through your attorney first -- if the FBI has been contacting you without your attorney's involvement, knowledge and/or permission they are NOT supposed to be doing that.

--Mary

Legalease, Lawyer