Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I am looking for someone familiar with Indiana laws. I was

I am looking for someone familiar with Indiana laws. I was convicted in 1996 of my 4th DUI. I was given 9 years in the women's prison. I chose to flee Indiana rather than serve the 9 years for various reasons - my mother was dying and I didn't want to be incarcerated during her last 6 months, I was scared, etc. Since then, I have made a new life in California - I have completed my Bachelors degree, currently working on an MBA, have a wonderful job and fiancee, have purchased a home, and I have not drank in 15 years. My life is fulfilling and complete; however, this incident is still looming and I want to take care of it.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? Should I sell my home, quit my job and go back and turn myself in? Should I contact the DA in the county where this happened and try to work something out where I can do time in California? Is it possible this could be turned into house arrest? Any assistance or advice is appreciated.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

Hi

I suggest you can begin with a criminal defense attorney in CA to see if there are any open warrants out in this regard. That attorney then may place you in contact with an attorney who is licensed in Indiana to contact the DA and see if it can be negotiated for you to have the warrant recalled. Because it was so long ago and you have become a productive citizen of society, it may be possible that the 9 years can be suspended with you serving probation in California. But you will need the attorney in CA and in Indiana to assist with this matter

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck