TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.

As a small business owner.. one of my friend/client pay me

As a small business owner.. one of my friend/client pay me $1700 for consultation work and they were not happy so being a good person I decided to pay them back each month $500 starting last month, this month they demanded all of their money up front or they would slander me on the internet and report me as ripping them off to the police. Can they do this and what can I do to stop their harassing action.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 3 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Assuming you did not defraud them, no crime has been committed, so you don't have to worry about that.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Regarding "slandering" you on the Internet, it really depends on what they say.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The law allows them to express their displeasure with your work, and share that opinion with others.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The law does not allow them, however, to spread false and damaging rumors about you or your business.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please click the "Accept" button so that I may receive credit for my answer. Good luck.

Customer:

So what do I do about them demanding all their payment up front which I do not have at the moment?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

There isn't much you can do. They can demand it, but if you can't pay it they won't get it.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Their alternative is to sue you in court for the full amount, but if you are making regular payments, they are unlikely to do that since it will cost them money to sue you.

Customer:

Ok. that makes sense, but if they take it further, then what do you advise.. thanks

Customer:

Sorry did not see the last answer. I am please,

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If they take it further, allow the court process to conclude. At the end of the day, the worst thing the court will do is order you to pay them and put you on some sort of payment plan with them.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

That doesn't hurt you because that is basically what you are doing now,

Customer:

and if they make a police report on me then what?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The police won't do anything because you haven't committed a crime. Unless you deceived them into giving you money or committed some kind of fraud, the police won't get involved.

Customer:

thanks have a nice day

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You too.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.