Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

RunTam, I do hope you read my sad case... I truly dont know

RunTam, I do hope you read my sad case... I truly don't know what to do...
I am hating the system > can my father plead his own case in court, can I?

Suzanne
Suzanne,

I just posted a follow up to your other question and did read your description of what happened to your Dad. I take it that his attorney does not want to proceed any further with the case. If so, your Dad really has only two options -- find another attorney who will take the case or represent himself without an attorney (which is almost always a bad idea).

In response to your specific questions here, yes, your father can represent himself in court, call and question witnesses, make legal motions and objections, and argue his case to the court or jury. However, it is very unusual for a private person to have sufficient knowledge and awareness of legal rules to do so effectively.

Only a lawyer can represent another person in court, however, so you could not do so unless you were a lawyer yourself. Since you are obviously not a lawyer, you cannot represent him in any way. You can testify as a witness, but that's all.

I wish I could give you more encouraging news, but it does seem to be that the best solution is for your father to find another lawyer to represent him.