RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What is the procedure in making arrest for assault

What is the procedure in making arrest for"assault?"

Do this citizen have grounds for a lawsuit.i say yes,but need your honest opinion here thank you.and i am farrah.

set of fact(s)are as follows,(going by a transcript and documentation)today thank you..

on or about Oct.25 2010:

1.Dad was arrested for striking his child yet no incident even ever took place.child is 18.

2.child was told to say this by the new spouse(of the child mother)to"get back at dad"from the past,whereas;dad allegedly "discipline"child growing up few times spanking etc. no abuse.

3.dad was arrested,booked,humiliated,naturally,embarassed,feel
he was falsely arrested due to police state,"we are arresting you under the'Domestic Violence Act,since your kid name is XXXXX XXXXX

a "active restraint order?"(that his ex wife has from when child was under 18)etc. when they were going through a bitter custody fight
for years,and inform dad how"he has evidence"to support the child statement/step dad statement such a video recording of statement by kid,that dad strike him hard causing bruises
yet NO photos,were taken.Flagrantly the COP LIED.

Nor a signed statement sby Kid,as cop said during arrest,again the police officer lied.

Cop also adds,"a video statement by the young man"age 18,

yet NO video produce either.
COP AGAIN LIED.

Dad has to post bail.was detain for up to seven hours,fingerprint,mugshot,charge with assault.Yet cop has as your reading NO evidence supporting such arrest of the father.

based on the aforesaid i feel there is enough here,
for lawsuit to be number one filed,as later,if not settled,

that such material fact,of lieing on video,pix taken of serious injury to the 18 year old prompting a "arrest" etc.

could permit any reasonable jury to find that probable cause was clearly lacking for each of the charge,involved,Because the cop LIED about having video tape,a SIGNED confession,based on what
the child allege to have told cop,also lie on having pix,showing such "serious"injury the police docs state in addition,adaging

how photos were taken yet NONE presented at court,NOR the officer,

Later case dismiss.

The adult child, never show up,and we are talkin bout 5 hearings here.

NO one ever showed even though it took four police officers to arrest him at his home in oct.2010.
No officer showed.

The case was just recently dismissed.Prosecutor adage we have your honor,decided on not"prosecuting this individual'so we are moving to dismiss the charge
of"assault"as we have advise defendant attorney ___.

CASE DISMISS finally against the dad just last week.

Now:

Is there a fourth amendment/false imprisonment claim here,and what is police procedure
BEFORE making a arrest thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon, thank you for your question.

Honestly, it's hard to say from limited facts. You would need to have a lawyer look over all the police reports, court documents, etc. and properly advise you. That said -police only need probable cause to arrest someone. That's a low standard, basically equal to a "reasonable belief" that a crime has been committed. However, it is the prosecutor who decides whether to actually file charges, and their burden of proof is much higher -they have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, which is hard.

Police can lie to suspects/defendants, especially if they want them to talk. Courts have said police can lie to defendants in custody. It happens all the time -police will tell a defendant that "so and so" was a witness or allege that they have boxes of evidence and a strong case against them, for example. Not illegal.

Going back to probable cause for arrest however, if the 18 year old was allegely an assault, there should have been visible injuries -bruising, cuts, blood, etc. maybe even defense wounds. If he was uninjured, I don't see how the police can arrest him for such a charge, and that's probably why the prosecutor dismissed the case, because there simply wasn't enough evidence to get a conviction, and they knew that.

If there was no evidence to support the arrest, that is a basis for a claim against the police. Possible claims may include false arrest, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Please let me know if I have not fully addressed your concerns.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh thank you!
my consensus to the family today was then accurate.thx again,and just as a overall last statement of fact to be more unambiguous:

1.NO pix,that would have been taken(as officer said THE PHOTOS is what supported him "arresting"the father,for "assault"and taking him to jail.

2.NO video(showing bruises of the child (man)age 18.none whatsoever.

3.officer says,"statement"by child was also"sign"but yet statement was not sign,nor was there any pix,nor video taken.

4.NO hospital report(s)no E.R. no EMT called to assist in such assault.

i think this here alone support father claim correct?"

Yes, I would agree that all of those things are indicative of the officer not have any probable cause to arrest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes,the father,is going to sue,pro-se,and or 2 atty.has already shown interest as the attorney told me,"what your essentially saying"so thank you,as the main point is,"where are the pix?"where is the video of bruises?

why wasn't child taken to the hospital?

all these factors,are jury question if not settle,the attorney saying,as i am sure you agree.

farrah.
I do agree, I'm not sure why an officer would arrest the father in such a situation.

I would, however, encourage him to have a lawyer represent him. Litigating these types of cases are challenging enough. It's good ot know lawyers have expressed interest in the case.

Please remember to press ACCEPT. Thanks!
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you i accept.thx rob.night now.
Goodnight, and thank you. I wish him the best of luck with everything.