Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

hello, i have a roommate who has been late(14 days) with rent

hello, i have a roommate who has been late(14 days) with rent ($1050) the past three months, therefore last month i told him they needed to be out by the first. So on the 27th of Feb. he was here packing his belongings and cleaning room. He left with a truck load or two of his belongings in the garage and side of the house, in which he ensured me that all he needed was to come back with a truck to remove the remaining items from my property. i stressed to him that its going to be a huge inconvenience if his stuff is still here after the first due to my new roommates moving in, as well as an eye sore outside. His stuff is still here and now is telling me that it will have to stay until he gets a truck and its not raining(basically at his convenience). i want to know if technically i can pull all of his stuff in my garage and close it, calling the items abandon at this point? if i leave his stuff outside and it gets stolen am i responsible for it? thx

Hi

Unfortunately, property is not considered abandoned for a year or so. And then you need to show proof that you have given the owner written Notice to retrieve it.

You can write him a letter and explain that you are in no way responsible if his belongings are stolen and urge him to remove it before something should happen

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he owes me for rent/utilities still. So if i send him a text via cell phone stating what u recomended, that im not responsible for his property that i put outside, and by coincidence its stolen over night, does he have any ground to stand on??? can i be held responsible???

Hi

A text would not hold up in court. Only a written letter. And, of course, you may sue him in small claims for the money he owes you. If the belongings are stolen you would not be responsible for a theft

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i wouldnt be held responsible for a theft regardless of a hand written letter? text wouldnt hold up this day and age huh? what if i dont know how to find him and text is the only form of communication??? sorry for all the replies, i just wana make sure i understand....thx for your patience :)