Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My son has been in the dallas county jail since Sept 2010 on

My son has been in the dallas county jail since Sept 2010 on burglary of habitation. I live in Michigan. He was found incompetant to stand trial in January due to mental illness(bipolar, manic depression, schitzophrenic). He has been sentenced to a hospital but is still in jaill. He has a public defender. How can he get out of jail and into a hospital ASAP? How can he be helped? He is on my medical insurance, blue cross. The police report stated that a naked black male knocked on a door, walked in, stated his name and asked for clothes. He had just fled a hospital in Texas.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If he has been ordered to be committed, he cannot simply be held in jail.

If the public defender is not helping, you will have to turn to other sources for help. Try the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas. Here is their additional contact information

P.O. Box 12905, Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>(NNN) NNN-NNNNfax
(NNN) NNN-NNNNtoll free

They can either assist you or find someone who will.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Nathan Moore