Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases

What if a form is signed stating that no felony or attempted

Customer Question

What if a form is signed stating that no felony or attempted felony has been committed and now looking back there is a question if something was a potential felony but was not realized until after the form was signed?

We are applying fro benefits for our special needs son and developementally he is behind his age. He was trying to play detective and was going to tell the authorities a person he knew was going to distribute by saying he would help this individual. He backed out when I found out what he was doing and let the other party know. He has never had any problems with the law. He was 18 at the time and developementally he is 12-13.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
This "form" was provided by who and when?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a form for SSI disability for my son who is 19. My wife was asked a series of questions and she told me that the felony or potential felony question was asked. At the time it did not even come to her mind that our son had attempted this. So when the questions were done she signed the form. She thought a few days later after signing it and now wonders if she did the wrong thing.

What our son did was : He found an aquaintance from his High School, Kennedy Krieger who had graduated from the non-publc school on facebook. (My son is still in High School asn is scheduled to graduate when he is 21.) This person invited him to help with his "business" and my son decided that he did not want this guy to mess other people up. So his plan was to work out a meeting location and then let the police know that this individual was going to be there. Before he set up the actual meeting place I found out what was going on and I told him to stop. I explained the ramifications to him and he became really scared and told the individual that he would not do it and he did not want to mess people up.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
That isn't a felony. Secondly, he would have needed the specific intent to commit the crime.

I would NOT worry about this whatsoever.

I would just go with what she placed on the form for certain. He didn't attempt anything nor make an overt act to commit such either.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: 20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. I didn't even want to go into the fact that because of his problems he couldn't form the needed specific intent necessary for them to pursue a criminal cause of action.

Just don't worry about this.