Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience

My husband threw a rock out his truck window and it hit a mailbox.

Customer Question

My husband threw a rock out his truck window and it hit a mailbox. Someone called took his license plate down and called the police. The police called him & questioned him and told him they were going to mail him a ticket for disorderly conduct. We haven't received the ticket yet. We are in the state of AR. What is he facing & what do you recommend.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

The charge of disorderly conduct is one of the most general types of misdemeanor charges and can actually include any type of action that results in some type of disturbance. Being charged with a disorderly persons offense can include yelling, rioting, loud noise issues, fighting or attempting to provoke a fight or even being intoxicated and disruptive. Typically disorderly conduct is a type of catch-all offense, however it can be very serious.
Disorderly Conduct charges can take in a very large range of possible fines not to exceed $500, requirements for counseling or anger management or even, in severe cases, jail time not to exceed 30 days. More than one offense or a criminal record can significantly impact the sentencing for disorder conduct charges.

When determining the sentence to be imposed with a charge of disorderly conduct the judge has considerable discretion about the charges. Many disorderly conduct charges are dismissed or dropped before the case even gets to the judge, or a suspended sentence is ordered. If the judge does find the defendant guilty often the first offense results in fines, court ordered counseling or even community service hours.