Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was denied a public defender due to the amount of my bond

I was denied a public defender due to the amount of my bond that was posted 50.000, but that of which my family posted, not me. I am on welfare with the income of 365.00 a month coming in shouldn't i still qualify for a public defender being it was not my income that posted the bond. can the public defenders's office make a decission of denial based off someone's parents paying his bond??? Eric  P.S. I have a Call of the list at 900 this morning, what should i tell them about this situation when i get in front of the judge?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Jacustomer,

You can tell the judge that your family raised the money for bail but they do not have enough to pay for a laywer too and that you are on welfare. You can ask him for an indigency hearing, where you can show proof of how much money is coming in and going out on bills, tax statements, etc. so that he sees you are not misinforming him. If you meet the income eligibility guidelines, you are entitled to a public defender.