Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

my 17 year old was questioned and tape recorded by a criminal

my 17 year old was questioned and tape recorded by a "criminal defense investigator" without my permission or knowledge in the state of CA. Is this legal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, this is not unlawful in California or any other state for an investigator or even law enforcement to speak to a minor regarding a crime either as a witness or a suspect. The laws in CA do not mandate that a parent be notified or even present. Therefore, the investigator did nothing wrong and if this was an investigator and not law enforcement your son had every right to refuse to speak to the investigator. Whether or not you want him to go to court, you have no legal rights to prevent him from going to court if he is subpoenaed to testify in the matter. If he does not honor the subpoena, the court can hold him in contempt and issue a warrant for his arrest and come and jail him and if it comes out that you were the one who prevented him from honoring the court order then the court can jail you as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”