Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

if i shoot someone with a gun registered to someone else, does

if i shoot someone with a gun registered to someone else, does he get in trouble for giving me the gun?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure. Relatives gives me their gun for protection. I shoot someone. Is the relative liable in anyway or just me. Are there any addition charges against me for using a gun not registered to myself. I live in Oregon. This is a hypothitical situation.

Oregon does not require license or registration of a firearm. The only time that license is required is if you want to carry it concealed.

So normally if there is some type of temporarily transfer such as for hunting or target shooting no written document is needed. However, if one individual gives another individual a gun lets say for protection there should be a bill of sale (if only for $1) or the ownership can be transferred through any gun shop.

Here are some of the laws that someone who wants to transfer a gun has to adhere to, and if they don't they can be charged with a crime:

It is unlawful to sell, deliver, or transfer any firearm to:

• A minor under the age of 18.

• A convicted felon, who has not had his civil rights restored.

• A person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving violence or found guilty, except for insanity, within the previous four years.

• A person listed in the Health Division Registry.

• A person who has been committed to the Dept. of Human Services.

• A person who has any outstanding felony warrants for arrest.

• A person who is free on any form of pretrial release for a felony.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck