Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I met a girl on Match.com, Kiki c diamond. Shes in the U.K.

I met a girl on Match.com, Kiki c diamond. She's in the U.K. After many months she is now saying she will send me her last paycheck so I can cash it and send her the money so we can finally meet. Could this be some kind of money laundering scheme?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.
Jacustomer,

This is a well known scam. Con artists claim to be attractive women or men and post profiles on dating websites. They use phony names and phony pictures and have phony contact information. The person you are chatting with may not even be a woman, just a crook hiding behind a computer. But she'll hook you in and make you feel like you're going to be the happiest person on earth. And just when she is supposed to get on the plane, disaster strikes. Someone gets into an accident. Or gets arrested. Or has some other kind of a problem, and only you can help. You get asked to send money by wire overseas. The girl still won't show up. There will only be another reason for you to send even mnore money and then more. And more, until you go broke or wise up, whichever comes first.

It's good that you bothered to check UK hospitals, because you already know that the information you got didn't check out before you sent her any money. Now think and ask yourself why on earth she would need you to cash a check for her. If she has a job, how's she been collecting her salary to begin with? There are banks all over the UK. They handle money in all currencies.

What's going on here is what's called an advance fee scam. She sends you a foreign check. It takes a while to clear because its a forged check and the routing numbers are messed up. That delays the clearing. Meanwhile because of banking regulations, your bank is required to give you a green light, since they don't know about this. You write against the check and send off the money. The girl doesn't come. The check takes three weeks to bounce. Your money is gone, and so is the banks, so you have to cover the overdraft.

There are websites all over the internet run by people who warn you about advance fee romance scams. Read all about them. I bet these will all sound familiar.

We get many stories like yours on a daily basis, frequently from people who have paid out thousands of dollars to crooks with bogus sob stories. Do not send any money abroad and do not give this person any banking or credit card details. Report her to Match.com so that they will remove her from the site and report her also to the FBI's Computer Crimes Division. They are working with foreign countries to help find and break up these rings of thieves that use the internet to prey on others.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.